I made these last year for Valentine’s Day and decided they needed a post of their own. They are so dang cute and although I made them for Valentine’s – they are universal and customizable.
Here I had thought that I had came up with an awesome, original idea (if there is such a thing)!
I did a google search and found that Bakerella had made a similar recipe too! No surprise here, she is the queen of cuteness.
Chocolate Kiss Cake Bites
Yield: approximately 36 cake balls
You will need:
- 2 packages (16oz) Chocolate CANDIQUIK Coating
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients for cake mix)
- 8 oz. chocolate fudge frosting
- To decorate: paper strips for note tags and aluminum foil squares
- 1. Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on box.
- Crumble cake into a large bowl.
- Add frosting and mix thoroughly (it may be easier to use fingers to mix together). Refrigerate mixture for 2 hours.
- Roll mixture into medium sized balls, pinching the top with your fingers to form a pointy peak; place on a baking sheet sheet and chill for another 30 minutes.
- Melt CANDIQUIK according to directions on package.
- With a spoon, dip balls in melted Chocolate CANDIQUIK; set on wax covered baking sheet to dry.
- Cut small, square pieces of aluminum foil and wrap around each individual cake ball.
- Cut out thin strips of paper and write (or type) your notes on these. Insert the paper notes into the aluminum foil wrapper, letting the top 1″ stick out.
TIP: If cake balls start to stick or get gooey when dipping, place the remaining cake balls in the refrigerator for 20-30 additional minutes.
You better sample a couple before wrapping in foil…
I typed up my tags, although handwritten ones would be cute also…
These are a new year-round favorite for me! Birthdays, Valentine’s Day, Christmas, or just because…
I’m bringing this recipe to the Virtual Valentine Party at the Dollhouse Bake Shoppe. The party is on Sunday, February 5th, 2012 - check it out for a super cute sugar fix!