You may remember 2010′s CINCO WAYS TO CELEBRATE THE MONTH DE MAYO?
But probably not. I think the only person reading then was my mother. Haha, true story.
But that’s beside the point. As of 2011, my blog has been up for just over a year!
Woot-woot! I want to thank everyone (mom) who stops by for a few minutes in their day to read about my sugar addiction!
Today I bring you the second annual Cinco Ways to Celebrate:
1. Jalapeño Cake Bites
First things first – cake! Jalapeño Cake! Well, kind of.
I found out that the real-deal, a.k.a. jalapeños dipped in vanilla candiquik, were only for a select few - maybe you!? If so, we’ll discuss that soon, real soon.
- 1 box yellow cake mix (plus ingredients for cake mix)
- ½ cup cake frosting
- 2 packages (16 oz) Vanilla CANDIQUIK® Coating
- Green food coloring (oil or powder based only!)
- 1 bag pretzels (tiny twists or sticks)
- Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on box.
- Crumble cake into a large bowl. Mix thoroughly with frosting (it may be easier to use hands to mix together).
- Chill for approximately 2 hours in the refrigerator (you can speed this up by placing in the freezer).
- Roll cake mixture into medium sized ovals; shaping into a pepper, place on wax lined baking sheet.
- Melt Vanilla CANDIQUIK Coating in tray according to the directions on the package. Add green food coloring to CANDIQUIK (must be oil or powder based) until desired color is established.
- With a spoon, dip cake bites in melted CANDIQUIK, coating completely. Let excess coating drip off and return to the wax lined baking sheet.
- While coating is still wet, press and hold a pretzel piece (3/4” long) on the end of the cake bite as a stem.
2. Chocolate Fruit Tacos
Dessert? In a taco shell. Yes, please.
- 1 package Chocolate CANDIQUIK
- 12 taco shells (or you can make your own by frying flour tortillas and sprinkling with cinnamon sugar! Well worth it!)
- *To make with flour tortillas, heat oil in a large frying pan, place 1 flour tortilla in oil. With tongs, fold the tortilla in half to form a taco shape - hold in place for 45 seconds on each side (sprinkle with cinnamon sugar!)
- 1 package fresh strawberries, sliced
- 3 bananas, sliced
- Whipped cream
- Melt CANDIQUIK according to package directions.
- Dip shells in chocolate coating, set on wax paper to dry.
- Mix sliced fruit together in a medium bowl.
- Drizzle remaining chocolate over the fruit mixture in the shells, and top with whipped cream!
3. Sombrero Cookies
Cute, simple and fun to make with the kids! Plenty of different styles and colors you make – have fun with them!
Check out the recipe for these Sombrero Cookies over on the CandiQuik website!
4. Fiery Fiesta Peppers
For my spicy amigos! Even if you are not interested in eating them, use these for presentation, a centerpiece…be creative!
Check out the recipe for these Fiery Fiesta Peppers over on the CandiQuik website!
5. Los Gatos
Seriously adorable. I can’t get enough of their mustaches and hats! Check out this adorable Cinco de Mayo idea over at Party Pinching!