The first time I saw these over at Stop Lookin’ Get Cookin’s blog, I almost died from the cuteness. Why did I never think of turning pretzel twists into cute little chicks (or are they ducklings?)!? I thought of making bunnies out of pretzel RODS, but making little critters out of the twists – nope. The credit goes to Kendra’s daughter! So swing by her blog to see the other ideas she created with these pretzel twists!
I did, however, add my own twist to these and used a sliced almond for a little wing.
What I love about them is they’re easy, tasty and super adorable. You could make these right now if you wanted…
That is if you have pretzels, CandiQuik, almonds, sprinkles and candy coated sunflower seeds.
I found the candy coated sunflower seeds (with an assortment of colors available) at TJ Maxx/HomeGoods. Kendra found them at Michaels, so hopefully one of these this helps you out!
If you have difficulty finding these, you could always use an orange Tic-Tac.
Chick or duckling, they’re cute. Happy Spring!
- Tiny pretzel twists
- 1 (16 oz.) package Vanilla CANDIQUIK Coating
- yellow food coloring (oil or powder based only)
- Sliced almonds
- Orange candy-coated sunflower seed
- Jumbo nonpareil sprinkles
- + Piping bag (or plastic Ziploc bag)
- Arrange pretzels on wax or parchment paper.
- Melt CandiQuik coating according to package directions. Add a few drops of yellow food coloring and stir until combined.
- Spoon CandiQuik into a piping bag (or heavy plastic Ziploc w/ one tiny corner snipped off); pipe inside each pretzel until the holes are filled.
- Press a sliced almond (wing), orange sunflower seed (beak), and black nonpareil (eye) on before the coating sets.