A long time ago, in a kitchen far, far away….
It is a time of unrest. Star Wars: Episode VII was only days away from Awakening the Force and movie tickets burned holes in our pockets. A fierce battle raged between the forces of good, desserts seeking justice and peace, and the dark side, veggies seeking only to deliver your recommended daily intake of fiber and make mom happy.
During the battle, The CandiQuik Kitchens worked tirelessly to defeat the pangs brought forth by the evil lord Hunger, which had only grown stronger. Little did Hunger know, the Kitchens baked the supreme weapon to destroy the dark forces and ensure freedom from the sweet tooth….
If camping in line at the theater for days leading up to the release of the new Star Wars movie isn’t your kind of thing but still want to get in the spirit, these R2D2 and BB8 cookies are a good alternative and a definite must if you’re having any kind of pre-movie party.
You can also give these cookies to your friends that have already seen it if you’re unable to get tickets for opening day. That way their mouths are too full of cookie goodness to talk and spoil any plot twists for you.
To make the sugar cookies, I just used a dry mix, but you can use whatever premade dough or secret family recipe you’d like. R2D2 was cut out by hand using a knife and BB8 is made of two circle sizes, the smaller size cut in half to make the head. Just gently press the two pieces together before baking. If you don’t have circle cookie cutters, you can easily use the tops of two different sized glasses! Similarly, if you don’t have a rolling pin, a wine bottle (full or empty) does a great job as well. No need to go out and buy all new kitchen tools! Just use what you have available in your kitchen, have fun, and may the Force be with you.
- Sugar cookie dough
- 2 packages Vanilla CandiQuik
- Blue, orange, and black candy colors (powdered or oil-based)
- Black and red non-pareils (optional)
- Make the sugar cookie dough of your choice.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the chilled cookie dough out on a lightly floured surface to ¼ inch thick.
- To make BB8, cut 2 larger circles for every 1 smaller circle. Cut the small circle in half and gently press the flat side to the top of a larger circle.
- To make R2D2, use a knife to hand cut a square bottom and rounded top.
- Bake cookies according to chosen recipe.
- Once the cookies are completely cooled, melt one tray of Vanilla CandiQuik according to package directions and coat the cookies. Place on wax paper or wire rack and allow to set.
- Divide remaining package of CandiQuik into thirds and melt one third in a glass bowl or mug in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval.
- Add candy color to reach desired shade and pour into a Ziploc bag. Cut a tiny corner off the bag and pipe onto cookies. Repeat with each color. Add black and red non-pareils to R2D2 before the blue CandiQuik is set.
All StarWars characters © Disney 2015
Milky Way photo © NASA 2015