Warning, do not feed these to: small children, your dog, or yourself… if you are wishing to sleep soon.
ESPRESSO CAKE BITES
ohhh – mee – ohhh – myy
I almost didn’t share these. They are rich, chocolatey, and not very “summery”. But who cares? Espresso, chocolate, cake, more chocolate, bite size. Need I say more?! Even if you don’t like coffee, I think you would like these. Really. The espresso is a subtle addition once combined with frosting and then coated in CandiQuik.
In fact, if you want a strong espresso flav, don’t be afraid to bump up the measurements!
recipe slightly adapted from Drinking Chefs
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients required for cake)
- ½ cup chocolate fudge frosting
- 8 Tablespoons coffee grounds (instant/fresh ground/espresso)
- 2 packages (16 oz.) Chocolate CANDIQUIK
- Garnish: Espresso beans
- Prepare cake mix as directed on box. Add 8 tablespoons of ground coffee beans (or instant coffee) to cake mixture before baking. Once finished baking, let cool.
- Crumble cake into a large bowl. Mix thoroughly with ½ cup frosting. Tip: it may be easier to use fingers to mix together with frosting.
- Chill mixture for approximately 2 hours in the refrigerator (you can speed this up by placing in the freezer).
- Roll mixture into 1 inch balls. (tip: use a coffee scoop or melon baller to get perfect sized balls!)
- Melt Chocolate CANDIQUIK according to the directions on the package.
- With a spoon, quickly dip each cake ball into the Chocolate CANDIQUIK and coat completely. Lift out of chocolate and set on wax paper.
- Top each cake ball with an espresso bean before coating is dry. Drizzle with chocolate Candiquik.
One of my favorite version of cake balls yet!