Happy National Donut Day! There’s a day for almost anything, but today might be one of the best. Donut shops across the country are giving away free donuts, but I will be celebrating with these bad boys today… and tomorrow… and probably the day after that as well. Yes, they’re that good!
Are you ready for the best part? These holey wonders are made using a cake mix. How quick and easy is that? I love baking but sometimes I just don’t have the time to gather and measure every ingredient I need. Especially when it’s National Donut Day and I just want to get to the good part. In case that needs further clarification, the good part is eating
This recipe requires a special donut pan, but if you don’t already have one, it will be a purchase you won’t soon regret. I’m willing to bet anything tastes better when shaped like a donut. Happy holidays, everybody!
- 1 (15.25 oz) box lemon cake mix
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 (16 oz) package Vanilla CANDIQUIK
- Lemon oil (not juice) - optional
- 1 cup sliced almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, buttermilk, eggs, and butter until well mixed.
- Pour batter into pastry or Ziploc bag. Cut a corner off the Ziploc bag.
- Pipe batter into a lightly greased donut pan; filling molds ⅔ full.
- Bake for 5-9 minutes until the top springs back when touched and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely on wire rack.
- Melt CANDIQUIK according to package directions. Optional to add up to 5 drops of lemon oil to the CANDIQUIK or until your desired flavor has been reached.
- Dip the top half of each donut in the CANDIQUIK, return to wire rack and sprinkle with almonds.