As I’m writing this post, I’m seriously wishing I still had a bowl of this puppy chow in my kitchen.
But I don’t. Pretty sure I ate the entire batch with the help of a lot of friends (ok, two.) in a matter of minutes.
I found myself digging through the bowl looking for the pieces that were lightly coated. If I can see the Chex through the coating of sugar, orange zest and Candiquik – those are the BEST pieces. Luckily my co-worker is on the hunt for the most heavily coated pieces so we made a great team.
I’m in love with puppy chow and anything that has zest in it…but I’m fairly certain I love this specific chow just as much, if not more, than the lemon version!
- 9 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 (16 oz.) package Vanilla CANDIQUIK Coating
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- ¼ tsp pure orange oil
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Place cereal in a large bowl (a large plastic bowl with a lid works best)
- Sprinkle zest over the cereal.
- Melt Vanilla CandiQuik Coating in tray according to package directions.
- Pour coating over the cereal and use a spatula to fold into cereal until evenly coated.
- Add the powdered sugar and seal the top with the lid (or cover with plastic wrap) and lightly shake until thoroughly coated.
I originally saw The Girl Who Ate Everything’s recipe for this about a year ago and just got around to making it (and I added a little twist!).
I added pure orange oil (LorAnn’s oils I believe?) to the melted CandiQuik for a little extra boost of ORANGE flavor. I thought this amped up the flavor just enough without being overbearing.
So…what pieces do you dig for? The heavily coated ones or the lightly dusted pieces!?