Is it just me, or is miniature food so much cuter and tastier than its larger counterparts?
Think about it: petit fours are insanely more adorable than a larger cake. Brownie bites are petite and sweet compared to a regular hunk of brownie. And mini cupcakes? Almost too cute to eat and definitely impossible to pass up.
And when it comes to Halloween candy, those miniature candy bars always taste better to me. Maybe because my mind tricks me into thinking the smaller they are, that they mustn’t have that many calories — because surely smaller treats can’t have calories, right? Right?! Isn’t that science or something?
Or maybe that’s chocolate-coated denial talking.
Either way, I love snacking on miniature candy bars and I love it even more when those candy bars are homemade. Did you know how easy it is to make candy bars at home?! Some of your favorite sweet treats are impossibly simple to whip up and taste better since they’re homemade — that’s another scientific fact for ya.
These Take 5 Bites are no exception to that rule. Crispy pretzels sandwich creamy peanut butter and gooey caramel, then the entire thing is coated in smooth chocolate CandiQuik. The result is a sweet-and-salty delight that’s soft and gooey from the peanut butter and caramel, but crispy and crunchy from the pretzels and chocolate shell.
In other words, I think you’ll find these positively impossible to resist. And that’s okay, given those rules of science and all
- 40 square grid pretzels
- 40 Rolos, unwrapped
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 pkg (16 oz) Chocolate CandiQuik
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spread out twenty (20) pretzels in an even layer among the baking sheet. Top each grid pretzel with a Rolo.
- Place the pretzels in the oven for 3-5 minutes, or until the Rolos are shiny on top but still retain their shape. Remove from the oven.
- Spread a half-teaspoon or so of peanut butter onto the remaining grid pretzels and gently sandwich them on top of the softened Rolos, pressing down to form a sandwich. Repeat with the remaining pretzels.
- Freeze the pretzel sandwiches for about 20 minutes or until firm. While the pretzels firm up, prepare your CandiQuik according to package directions, until smooth and melted. Dip the pretzel sandwiches into the CandiQuik, submerging them completely. Allow excess chocolate to drip off, then return the candy to the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining candies.
- Once all the candy has been coated, take the remaining CandiQuik and drizzle it on top of the candies with a fork, or pour the remaining candy into a plastic bag and snip off a corner to drizzle it on top of the candies. Allow the chocolate to set, then serve!
I love how EASY these Take 5 Bites are to whip up! Just a short prep-time and you’ll be sitting pretty on a mile-high mountain of these sweet-and-salty candy bars! The best part is that this recipe is so easily doubled for larger gatherings or for gifts — or you know, any day of the week!
Craving more candy bars? Here are some more fabulous homemade candy bar recipes!