Raise your hand if you like beets!
Am I the only one raising my hand right now? Come on guys!
In honor of Earth Day, I thought it might be fun to put a vegetable twist on an older recipe. I know, I know… it’s not technically Earth Day anymore, but every day should be Earth Day, right?? I feel so bad for beets. They’re sooooo good but also so unappreciated. Under that rough, dirty exterior is the most wonderful color and sweet, earthy taste.
One of my best friends and I used to make berry smoothies on Saturdays and I may or may not have snuck some beets in without her ever noticing! Shhh… don’t tell now, she still thinks she doesn’t like beets.
Not only do the flavors of chocolate, beets, and cream cheese mesh amazingly well together, but the beets help the brownies stay moist. You might not even be able to tell they’re in these rich, fudgy brownies (and neither will the kids!!) The frosting is a delicious must! Besides, we don’t want to get too crazy with the veggies… yet
- 1 box brownie mix
- ¾ cup (6oz) beets, pureed
- 1 egg
- ½ cup oil
- 1 (16oz) package Chocolate CandiQuik
- 2 (8oz) packages cream cheese, softened
- Use immersion blender or food processor to puree canned beets (don't drain the water!)
- In a large bowl, combine brownie mix, beets, egg, and oil and mix well.
- Bake according to directions on brownie mix box. Cool completely.
- Melt Chocolate CandiQuik according package directions.
- In a large bowl, beat softened cream cheese and melted CandiQuik until well blended.
- Spoon cream cheese mixture over brownies. Keep refrigerated.