You are going to love these Gluten Free Chickpea (aka Garbanzo beans) Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Truffles.
They taste like a very mild peanut butter truffle, healthified. You will NOT find any flour or butter used in these bites. You will find protein, zinc, and folate from the chickpeas. Yeah, you’re welcome.
Now before you stop reading, thinking that I’m gettin’ all healthy on you, I’m not.
But who doesn’t like to save a few calories here and there? Especially since you’d never know there were chickpeas in them!
I also have to share – I’ve been very loyal about running lately (and I’m totally NOT a runner). My sidekick and I recently ran a 5k race and are registered for another fun Halloween-themed race! We also run 4 to 5 miles two to three times a week. You will never find me running a marathon (I ache after 4 miles) but these runs make me feel accomplished. And these grain free cookie dough bites are the perfect little treat to satisfy my teensy obsession with anything dessert WITHOUT destroying my workout.
You may have seen me post this on Facebook or Pinterest a while back…this is totally me, to a T.
The only thing I might change is “I run, because I really, really…”
A friend sent me a recipe for grain free cookie dough bites after it had been pinned and shared on Facebook like a gagillion times. I took that recipe and added a couple changes (dipping it in chocolate vs baking them) and I hunted down the original source and it is from Texanerin Baking. Thanks, Erin!
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter (can also substitute with almond or other nut butters)
- ¼ cup honey (may also use agave or maple syrup)
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Drain and thoroughly rinse chickpeas. Place chickpeas, vanilla, peanut butter and honey in a food processor and blend until completely smooth.
- Using a spatula, scrape mixture into a medium sized bowl and place mixture in the freezer until somewhat firm, about 20 minutes.
- Roll mixture into 1″ balls and place on a baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper.
- Place back in the freezer to chill for approximately 30 minutes.
- Melt Chocolate CANDIQUIK in Tray according to package directions.
- Using a spoon, dip each ball into chocolate coating and place on wax paper to set; sprinkle if desired.
If you’re diggin’ these, you’d also love: