The other day I was realizing how long it had been since I posted a new cake pop idea on the blog.
Shame on me. Because they’re still goin’ strong and this blog is proving it to me. After all, the Cake Pop Tutorial is still one of the most popular posts!
You may remember a while back when I tested out the Duncan Hines Frosting Creations and found an easy way to color & flavor CandiQuik Coatings…well that is what I used here to color and flavor the coating. Strawberry Shortcake flavor – and it was awesome.
- 1 box yellow cake mix (plus ingredients for cake mix)
- ½ cup buttercream frosting
- 2 (16 oz) packages Vanilla CANDIQUIK® Coating
- 2 packets Duncan Hines® Frosting Creations (Strawberry Shortcake flavor)
- Lollipop sticks
- Assorted Sprinkles
- Prepare and bake cake mix as directed on box; cool completely.
- Crumble cake into a large bowl. Add frosting and mix thoroughly.
- Roll mixture into 1″ sized balls. Chill for approximately 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.
- Melt CANDIQUIK® Coating in tray according to directions on package. Add 1 packet of strawberry flavored Frosting Creations to each package of Vanilla CANDIQUIK Coating; stir until blended.
- Insert a lollipop stick into each cake ball. Dip cake pops in coating; allowing the excess coating to drip off. Place on wax paper and sprinkle. Let dry.
I brought these to a trade show and had a guy tell me they were the best cake pops he’s ever had! He then continued to go on telling me that he’s even had gourmet cake pops from a specialty shop in Las Vegas and has eaten more than his fair share of cake pops, as he took a couple more and popped them in his mouth like Tic-Tacs. He asked me what cake recipe I used and he was floored when I told him it was Betty Crocker yellow cake mix and mixed with buttercream frosting, haha. I have to say the coating makes a big difference and the cake to frosting ratio. I typically use about 1/2 cup or even a little less. So there ya go – the best cake pops ever ;).
I hope you enjoy these as much as we all did!
*If you’ve never made cake pops, be sure to check out the cake pop tutorial!