These homemade doggy cupcakes, a.k.a. pup-cakes are so simple to pull together!
One mixing bowl, a cupcake tin, 50 minutes of your time, and you’re on your way. I totally wish I had this adorable bone-shaped cupcake pan that Norene from Party Pinching used in her recipe but life goes on. And the dog’s don’t mind, trust me.
Technically you could eat these! They are just a lot less sweet than you’re probably used to in a so-called cupcake.
*Update: I tasted them. Save them for the dogs. Eat these Apple Pie Caramel Apples as a treat for yourself instead.
The thing I love about making homemade dog treat recipes is that you KNOW what goes into them.
Sometimes I think the dog eats better than I do…actually I take that back. Yes, the dog definitely eats better than I do.
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cups apple sauce (I used Mott’s Natural)
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 4 Tbsp honey
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup chopped apples (about 1 apple)
- 6 oz. Vanilla CANDIQUIK Coating
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix water, apple sauce, vanilla, egg, and honey together with a whisk.
- Combine whole wheat flour and baking powder and stir into wet ingredients.
- Fold in chopped apples.
- Spoon mixture into greased muffin tins.
- Bake for 35 minutes; let cool.
- Melt CANDIQUIK according to package directions.
- Pour CANDIQUIK into a piping bag (or plastic bag with one corner snipped off) and pipe on designs.
So who’s going to be devouring these? This cute little face below…my Lola girl. She’s also going to share with all of the office dogs, but don’t tell her that.
If you have a donut pan, you can also make them into fun donut (or bagel) shapes!
Here is a cute printable if you are going to be giving these as a gift or selling them! (Simply click on the image below and print onto cardstock paper or use this PDF: Printable PDF – Apple Crunch Pupcakes)
If you like these, check out my popular recipe for: Homemade Pumpkin Dog Biscuits HERE
Not for pups…but equally adorable, Peanut Butter Pups