I’m a fairly picky cookie person. The dough to chip ratio must not exceed my liking. I can’t stand when there are TOO many chocolate chips in a cookie (yes, this is totally possible). Plus, too fluffy of a cookie is not okay (this happened once when I subbed greek yogurt for half of the butter), nor is too flat a cookie.
Where I’m going with this is that I absolutely love these cookies.
Probably because they have a healthy serving of buttah and almond extract in them. I wouldn’t mind bathing in the almond extract if it wasn’t $5 for a tiny jar.
They remind me of a tea cookie with a couple ‘bonuses’. They have a secret, not so secret anymore, ingredient in them.
Corn flakes. This adds a very subtle crunch to this already awesome cookie.
Since the cherry chips can often take over many flavors, this dense, crumbly, buttery cookie is the perfect match for them!
Being a shortbread cookie, they will hold their shape while being baked so I added a little crisscross pattern with a fork to flatten the cookies out a bit.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cups corn flakes, crumbled
- ⅓ package Log House Cherry Chips (or desired amount)
- 8 oz. Chocolate CANDIQUIK Coating
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl combine butter and sugars; beat until creamy. Mix in egg yolks and almond extract.
- Sift flour and salt together; gradually add to butter mixture and stir to combine.
- Fold in corn flakes and desired amount of cherry chips.
- Scoop into tablespoon sized balls and place on baking sheets; flatten in crisscross pattern with fork and bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, melt Chocolate CANDIQUIK in Melt & Make Microwaveable Tray according to package directions.
- Dip half of each cookie in melted coating and place on wax paper to dry.
Hope you enjoy these as much as I do time and time again!
This combination of coconut, cherry, and chocolate is sure to satisfy!
Plump chocolate cake bite with a surprise cherry filling!
Linked to: Wake Up Wednesdays